I have taken an extra ten days to think about what I actually want to do and achieve in 2016, and I have finally come up with what I think is my best set of goals so far! These are my 16 in 2016:
1. Visit fifty new places. I will visit fifty places I have never been before, including one London tourist attraction every month. There are so many I still haven’t seen! Liverpool is another specific place on my list, as Clare now lives there.
2. Go on two holidays. One trip is already on the cards, as my friend is having a holiday for her hen do. (My first best friend to get married! Exciting!) We are going to Marbella, which isn’t necessarily somewhere I’d choose to go myself, so I’d also like to go somewhere else!
3. Do three day trips. There are plenty of interesting places within a couple of hours of London – Oxford, Bath, Windsor, Canterbury – and I need to start taking advantage of that!
4. Make a scrapbook or memory box. I keep all my tickets and other daft mementos so it would be great to have a place to keep them. It would also be a good excuse to print more photos, instead of just having a few here or on Facebook.
5. See three new shows. I have seen a ridiculous amount of shows now, and I could spend this year going back through my favourites. However, it would be lovely to discover a few I’ve never seen before.
6. Read two books a month. I read so many brilliant books last year and would like that to continue! One specific author on my list is Kate Atkinson, as she is doing very well but I have yet to read anything she’s written.
7. Do something different. This one is good and vague, designed to cover anything from zorbing to a day at the races. I have no idea what I want to do yet.
8. Take a chocolate tour. Although I do know that I’m keen to go on a tour of some of London’s fancy chocolate shops!
Skills and self-improvement
9. Read a book in French or Spanish. I normally like to learn new things, but I think it would be a good idea for me not to lose the language skills I already have, so I’m going to do some of my reading in French and Spanish.
10. Run for twenty minutes without stopping. Considering the fact that four years ago I thought I might be having a heart attack after trying to run for the length of a song, I was pleasantly surprised to find when I joined the gym that I can run for ten minutes. I never push myself though, so this year I’m going to run for 20 minutes without stopping, and shoulder press 10kg. (I am not strong!)
11. Take care of myself. This encompasses hundreds of little things that are too boring to mention alone, but together would make me feel so much better. Sleep more, drink more water, start using eye cream (why have I only been doing the rest of my face all this time?!), keep my nails neat, don’t look at screens before bed, etc, etc.
12. Make my money go further. Why do I sign up for Nectar cards and clubcards if I don’t use the points and vouchers? This year, I’m going to take advantage of sales, look for more deals, and actually use the little coupons I get in the post.
Blog and creative
13. Dedicate three hours each week to blogging and writing. This means I am more likely to produce a blog post each week and something creative by the end of the year, but it doesn’t put any pressure on.
14. Write more list posts. I write lists all the time, so why not make them a source of content for the blog? I might post one every Tuesday.
15. Take a photo a week. It would be nice to improve my photography and have a good collection of photos to look back on for 2016, so I’m going to take a decent photo that is somehow representative of each week. This should improve my Instagram as well!
16. Keep a happiness jar. I would like to add to my happiness jar with a good moment from every day, but realistically I’ll aim to add little happy memories once a week.
Do you have any goals for this year?